I am so sorry that I haven’t written in a couple of weeks. Turns out moving house, decorating and running your own business is a stressful combo! Anyways, I feel I am starting to see the light at the end of the ‘boxes and mess everywhere tunnel’ and can steal some time again with my machine.
I made myself a playsuit recently – same pattern as used before but I have never talked to you about it.
I basically used the pattern from the Joan dress for the top, but discarded the neck tie. For the bottoms I used the Ultimate trouser pattern. Then I just extended both at the waist a little to avoid a potential camel toe situation. Not so chic.
I had this fabric on my shelf for a couple of years. I picked it up from Goldhawk road and was waiting for something to use it for. I thought it would be rather playful and cheeky to use it for this project – taking a suiting fabric used for the corporate uniform of the city and making something a bit daring with it. I have convinced myself that if I ever have a meeting in the city, this is the outfit, but I am not sure if I would have the courage to walk into a sky scraper in Canary Wharf in it! I feel safer wearing it at the shop!
It is fully lined as the suiting fabric needs that. I machine stitched the lining in at the neck, sleeves and hem and the slip stitched it to the zip.
The tricky thing about making something like this is the fit. It has to be perfect or it looks a mess. And then everything has to line up – all the darts, the waist seam etc. So in terms of difficulty, I would put it up there. But once you have a pattern that works you can just knock one out after the other. As I fully intend to keep doing!