I have been meaning to make this coat for some time. It is a copy of a coat I bought a few years ago which is now a little tired and limp. But I never seemed to get round to it. So I saved myself some time and asked Christina to make the pattern for me from the coat, which she did beautifully. I then squeezed the time in to actually make it and I’m so glad I did.
The fabric was a donation from a very lovely guy who just popped in one day and gave us some generous of cuts his wife no longer wanted. How lucky we are! I grabbed this one immediately and knew already what it was destined for. It is actually soft furnishing fabric, but that makes perfect coat making fabric too.
The orginal coat had puff sleeves and they were elbow length. I knew that wouldn’t look right with such stiff fabric so I reduced the sleeve head a little and increased the length. I hate short sleeves on coats as it means you always have to wear short sleeves underneath.
I decided only to line the top section as didn’t think the rest needed it as I wanted it to be an autumn/spring coat.
The gathers underneath the bust were a little too volumey at first so I had to steam them flat and I think they could do with a little more flattening but I think they will settle after time.
I pinched the buttons off the old version as they were so perfect.
Overall I am really pleased. It isn’t the most flattering coat I have but it is the most fun. So I figure if I only wear with skinny jeans or dresses (basically not wide legged trousers) then I think it will look funky rather than frumpy. The boyfriend disagrees (he is not a fan) but he doesn’t know anything 🙂