I have gone back into home mode this week and made something for our flat. I had some fabric left over from the chair we had covered. As it is Designer Guild fabric I am dedicated to using ever last bit (not cheap!). I had already made a lampshade from the reverse of the fabric, next was a pouffe…..
This was the pattern we developed for our class which we used to run. I already had the inner from the sample that used to be in the shop. It is a cylinder shape made out of calico, with a velcro opening at the bottom so it can be filled with the polystyrene balls. So all I had to do was make the cover. The contrasting fabric is from our collection of Ikat fabrics I brought back from India.
I started by sewing the top together, one piece at at time, creating a circle.
I then sewed the side strips together in the same way.
Then big pressing open of seams.
The next bit is really tricky – trying to line up the points with each other. You do this by pivoting with the needle at the points, accuracy is so important as one stitch out and it doesn’t line up.
I then stitched a band around the bottom with a channel and thread it with ribbon so it could be gathered up to close the bottom of the cover.
And finally I pressed the edges over on a circle of fabric and then slip stitched it to the centre to cover the little gap.
And here she is! Waiting for some feet to rest on her.