At the Handmade Fair I talked to a lot of you who asked me about scooping out the neckline of the Betty Dress.
A high neckline isn’t for everyone, so I thought I’d give it a go to show you how it would look. I was also asked a lot about adding sleeves, so as winter is coming up, I also did that!
And here she is…
It was really easy to change the neckline on the pattern. The original neckline sits just below my centre collarbone so I measured down from there the depth I wanted the scoop to be. I then transferred this measurement to the centre front bodice piece. From this point I drew the new scooped neckline. It is important that the first 1-2cm stay a right angle with the centre front as it is cut on the fold. I then traced off a new facing to mirror the new neckline.
For the sleeves, I used our Ultimate Shift Dress sleeve pattern and so I had to alter the armhole on the Betty pattern to match it.
The construction was the same except for the armhole/sleeve insertion. I would recommend stay stitching the front neckline as it will stretch a lot more than the original neckline.
Overall I am really pleased with it. The only thing I would change next time is the width of the neckline – I would probably bring it in a little as I have had to add lingerie straps as the addition of the sleeves open it out a bit too much and bra strap kept showing. Not a great look!
I would love to see yours if you have altered it!