Whether you’re a Sew Over It regular or you’ve always wished you could attend one of our sewing courses, we bring you our first online sewing class!
The Grace Dress was an instant hit as a class in our London workshops but we knew she was desired worldwide. Now you can create your very own Grace from the comfort of your own sewing table!
Versatile, fun and fabulous, the Grace Dress will take you from season to season in style. Both your best Christmas party outfit and the perfect summer dress all in one, learn loads of new techniques as you create your new wardrobe staple.
Designed with beginner dressmakers in mind, Lisa will guide you through the whole process, from measuring yourself and choosing the right fabric, right through to creating your finished Grace Dress. With plenty of course materials alongside the course including written instructions, detailed fitting handouts and a video Glossary, you’ll never be left on your own.
The Grace Dress online sewing class is perfect for anyone who wants a step-by-step guide to making a dress, but doesn’t have access to physical sewing classes.
- With the option to dip in and out of the course as you like, you can learn at your own pace. Rewind as many times as you’d like!
- Fit your sewing around your busy schedule. With access to the course 24/7, stop and start at your leisure.
- Wherever you are in the world, get the Sew Over It class experience from the comfort of your own sewing table
- Sew as the mood takes you. Drink wine at the same time if you like!
There are loads of options to choose between with the Grace Dress pattern. Make it in one fabric or colour block it with a contrast bodice and hem band, and leave the waist slightly loose or cinch it in with the tie belt. Plus, exclusive to the online course we have added a pretty cap sleeve to the pattern.
The Grace Dress sewing pattern has a semi-fitted, darted bodice with scooped neckline with optional cap sleeves, a gathered skirt with in-seam pockets and an invisible zip in the centre back seam. Adding the waist tie will give you a fitted silhouette – but still leaves you with the option to loosen it should you have a big dinner on the cards!
The Grace Dress comes in UK sizes 6-20 and has been drafted for a B cup bust.
As well as a comprehensive series of videos, the course comes compete with the downloadable Grace Dress pattern and written instructions, as well as a myriad of complimentary extras to help you with any fit issues you may have. We explain how to do both a full and small bust adjustment, as well as how to lengthen and shorten the pattern to suit your figure. The course also includes a section of Glossary videos to help you master any new techniques.
- how to measure yourself and choose the correct size for your body
- choosing the appropriate fabric for your Grace Dress
- how to assemble your PDF pattern and cut it out
- how to prepare and cut your fabric
- staystitching, darts and sewing a bodice with all-in-one facings
- how to sew and attach a cap sleeve
- the best ways to finish the raw edges of your seam allowances
- sewing in-seam pockets into a skirt
- gathering the skirt waist and attaching it to the bodice
- Lisa’s top tips for inserting an invisible zip
- how to finish a hem
- how to make a tie belt
- how to measure yourself and alter the pattern for a full bust adjustment (FBA)
- how to measure yourself and alter the pattern for a small bust adjustment (SBA)
- our tips for adjusting the pattern for a gaping neck
- how to lengthen and shorten the bodice
To take part in the Grace Dress online sewing class you will need:
- light to medium weight woven fabric
- a 22″ invisible zip
- a selection of sewing tools including both paper and fabric scissors, tape, pins, a ruler/pattern master, a tape measure and fabric marker
- a computer, laptop or tablet so you can watch the online tutorials
- access to a printer to print your PDF pattern
- a sewing machine
- an overlocker (optional)
As part of the course a list of supplies is listed in the supporting materials, including information on fabric requirements.
Don’t forget to get your cake at the ready!