Hello everyone and welcome to Intro to Sewing with Knit Fabrics!
In this online class I am going to demystify the process of sewing with knit fabrics. We’ll be working on two brand new patterns, the Emma Dress and Alice Top, and with so many new techniques there’s tonnes to learn. I share all my best tips and tricks to make sewing with jersey at home simple, stress-free and fun!
In the class I’ll guide you through the whole process of sewing your two new patterns, from measuring yourself and choosing the right fabric, through to creating your finished garments. Alongside the video-taught modules, the class includes extra course materials, including written instructions, guides to pattern alterations and a comprehensive glossary.
Broken down into easy-to-follow sections, you are able to dip in and out of the class whenever you like. There is no time limit, so you can sign up now with no obligation to start the course straight away. You can log in at any point and access the lessons in the future. Feel free to replay the videos as many times as you like, 24/7! And the downloadable PDF patterns and instructions can be printed over and over again.
Let’s have a closer look at the patterns…
The Emma Dress is your perfect everyday dress. It features a flattering princess seamed bodice with waist seam and a pleated skirt with two length options. It has a 3/4 length sleeve, scoop neck and closes with an invisible zip in the centre back seam. It is designed to be sewn in medium to heavy weight jersey such as ponte di Roma.
Alice is a flattering v-neck top with a pretty bow-effect bust detail. With individual cup sizes to choose from, this pattern is designed to fit a range of different busts. It also has 3/4 length sleeves and a double-layered bust for support. Alice is best sewn in lightweight knit fabrics such as viscose jersey.
Both patterns are designed exclusively for knit fabrics and available in UK sizes 8-20.
What will you learn?
The online class covers:
- how to measure yourself and choose the correct size for your body
- choosing the appropriate fabric for your garment
- how to work out stretch percentages
- how to assemble your PDF pattern and cut it out
- how to prepare and cut your fabric
- choosing the correct needle for your fabric
- how to sew pleats and princess seams
- how to insert a flat sleeve
- how to sew a set-in sleeve
- how to sew an invisible zip into knit fabric
- the best ways to finish the raw edges of your seam allowances
- how to finish a hem
And we have a special section on getting the fit right for your body:
- how to select the correct-sized bust panel based on your measurements
- how to grade your pattern between sizes
- how to create a Small Bust Adjustment or Full Bust Adjustment
- how to shorten or lengthen your pattern
- how to style your Emma Dress or Alice Top