Why do an online sewing class?
The Intro to Sewing Coats: Chloe Coat online class is perfect for anyone after a step-by-step guide to sewing their first coat, but doesn’t have access to physical sewing classes.
- With the option to dip in and out of the class as you like, you can learn at your own pace. Rewind as many times as you like!
- Fit your sewing around your busy schedule. With access to the course 24/7, stop and start at your leisure.
- Wherever you are in the world, get the Sew Over It class experience from the comfort of your own sewing table.
- Sew as the mood takes you. Have a glass of wine at the same time if you like!
Who is the class for?
The Intro to Sewing Coats: Chloe Coat online class is designed for coat-sewing newbies who want to take their skill level up a notch. A perfect course for intermediate sewers, you’ll get most out of the lessons if you’ve made a few garments before. You’ll need to have a good understanding of garment construction, and have inserted a sleeve and zip before.
What is included?
The Intro to Sewing Coats online class includes:
- the Chloe Coat PDF pattern (in both tiled and copyshop formats)
- step-by-step video tutorials taught by Lisa Comfort, covering every aspect of making the Chloe Coat
- written instructions to accompany the videos
- a series of written PDF guides on fitting and alterations
- size charts, layplans, supplies list
What will you learn?
In this online sewing class, we’ll teach you all about how to sew a coat. From measuring yourself to choosing fabric to inserting the zip and adding your lining, we’ll go through how to sew your Chloe Coat in easy-to-digest, step-by-step stages.
The online class covers:
- how to measure yourself
- how to assemble your PDF pattern
- choosing the correct fabric and lining for your Chloe Coat
- top tips for pressing coat fabrics
- how best to interface a coat depending on fabric
- creating cut-away darts
- setting in sleeves
- tailoring the sleeve-heads for a beautiful finish
- attaching patch pockets
- constructing a zip placket
- inserting an open-ended zip
- how to sew a press stud closure
- working with a lining and facing
- attaching the lining
- how to create and attach the detachable scarf
In the fitting surgery, Lisa covers:
- lengthening and shortening the coat and sleeves
- grading between sizes
- adjusting the front dart for a fuller bust
- choosing your size for broad shoulders
The video lessons are supported by written instructions and a series of helpful PDF guides.
Sizing & Fabric Requirements
The Chloe Coat pattern is available in UK sizes 8-20. See the size chart for fabric and lining requirements.
You will also need:
- 2x pieces of ice wool wadding (measuring 10cm x 23cm)
- 22″ open-ended zip for the zipped coat
- OR 5 or 6 2.1cm press studs if you’d prefer to close your coat with poppers
For inspiration and to find the perfect fabric, have a look at our specially curated suggestions.