Intro to Sewing with Knit Fabrics includes two brand new patterns, both designed to give you a well-rounded, all-inclusive overview on sewing with a range of different knits.
The Emma Dress is your perfect everyday jersey dress. It features a flattering princess-seamed bodice and a pretty pleated skirt with two hem options. The sleeves are a classic 3/4 length and the dress closes with an invisible zip in the centre back seam.
Designed to be sewn in a stable, heavier-weight jersey such as ponte, with Emma you’ll learn the absolute basics of sewing with knit fabrics, as well as some surprise extras – such as inserting a zip into a stretch fabric!
With Alice you’ll take your skills up a level. A flattering v-neck top with a pretty bow-effect bust detail, Alice features individually graded cup sizes (ranging from A to D) to ensure the best fit for you. It also has 3/4 length sleeves and a fully-lined bust for a beautiful finish on the inside.
The Alice Top is designed to be sewn in lightweight knits, which have a reputation for being more difficult to sew. But with all our very best tips we’ll have you achieving beautiful results in no time!
Why do an online sewing class?
The Intro to Sewing with Knit Fabrics online class is a fun, comprehensive introduction for anyone wanting to learn to sew with stretchy fabrics, available for you to access at any time of day or night!
- The class is available 24/7 so you can fit your sewing around your busy schedule.
- There’s no need to start the course straight away. You have lifetime access so whenever you’re ready to begin, the course will be there for you.
- With the option to dip in and out of the class as you like, you can learn at your own pace. Rewind as many times as you like!
- Wherever you are in the world, get the Sew Over It class experience from the comfort of your own sewing table.
- Sew as the mood takes you. Have a glass of wine at the same time if you like! (We definitely recommend cake.)
Who is the class for?
Intro to Sewing Knit Fabrics is designed for anyone who’d like an extensive guide to getting started with jersey. We recommend that you have made a few garments using woven fabrics already, but you can be a total knit newbie.
What will you learn?
In this class we aim to give you a broad understanding of how to sew knit fabrics, leaving you confident to go forth on and work with any type of knit in the future. Using the Emma Dress and Alice Top patterns as the basis for the class, you’ll learn how to sew with different types of jersey, as well as lots of new construction techniques. We will go through:
- identifying the right type of fabric for your project
- calculating the amount of stretch in a fabric
- choosing the correct needle for your fabric
- measuring your body and choosing the correct size
- cutting out knit fabrics
- sewing knit fabrics on a standard sewing machine
- using an overlocker
- how to sew princess seams
- how to sew a panelled bodice
- inserting a flat sleeve
- inserting a set-in sleeve
- how to sew a zip into jersey
- how to hem knit fabrics perfectly
We also go into detail with fitting with our easy-to-use guides:
- how to make a full bust adjustment and small bust adjustment in a princess-seamed bodice
- how to grade between two sizes to get the perfect fit
- how to shorten or lengthen a bodice to suit your body
What is included?
The Intro to Sewing with Knit Fabrics online class includes:
- the Emma Dress and Alice Top PDF patterns (in both tiled and copyshop formats)
- step-by-step video tutorials taught by Lisa Comfort
- written instruction booklets to accompany the videos
- a series of written PDF guides on fitting and adjustments for your body
- size charts, layplans, supplies list
Sizing & Fabric Requirements
Both the Emma Dress and Alice Top come in UK sizes 8-20. See the sizing charts for details of fabric suggestions and requirements.
As well as fabric for both projects, you will also need:
- a 22″ inch invisible zip
- ballpoint sewing machine needles
- stay tape or clear elastic