We are incredibly excited to bring you our new online sewing class:
the Ultimate Guide to Sewing & Fitting Trousers!
As the name suggests, this course is all about learning how to sew trousers and achieve the perfect fit.
Start by nailing trouser construction as you make a pair of loose-fitting, perfect-for-summer Carrie Trousers. Then we’ll move on to the Ultimate Trousers, where we will really work on conquering the ever-terrifying fit! There is so much to learn on this online sewing class!
For the Ultimate Guide to Sewing and Fitting Trousers course, we wanted to bring you TWO downloadable PDF patterns:
- The Carrie Trousers are brand new and were specially designed for this online class. Easy to fit, they are a great starting point for newbie trouser sewers who want to get to grips with construction.
- The Ultimate Trousers are one of our bestselling sewing patterns, but we know that mastering the fit of these slim-fitting trousers is something many of you are scared of having a go on your own. This part of the course concentrates on just that, helping to diagnose fitting issues, before showing you how to alter your pattern to make it work for your body.
Let us introduce the patterns properly!
Inspired by the effortless summer wardrobe of Carrie Bradshaw, the Carrie Trousers are perfect with flats or a day on the beach or a Sunday stroll through the park, but work just as well dressed up for an evening with heels for a glam look.
The Carrie Trousers are loose-fitting through the leg, slightly tapering towards the ankle. With no need for any tricky closures, they have a flattering flat-fronted, elasticated-back waistband with pretty pleats at the front. Practical and ideal for summer, the Carrie Trousers are mid-rise and feature ever useful slanted pockets at the side seams.
The Ultimate Trousers are a slim-fitting, ankle grazing trouser, flattering for so many figures. They are a year-round staple in Lisa’s wardrobe. Dress them up or down, they’re perfect for so many occasions.
Simple in design, with the Ultimate Trousers you can go to town with your fabric choices. Make a pair in a structured black cotton drill and look as classic as Audrey Hepburn, or for a fun summer look, choose a funky patterned stretch cotton. There are so many options with the Ultimate Trousers!
Who is the class for?
The Ultimate Guide to Sewing & Fitting Trousers online class is aimed at trouser-sewing newbies. If you’ve made a few garments before but never sewn trousers, this is the perfect place to start. We’ll guide you through the construction, and if it’s the fit you want to master, we’ve got you covered there too.
What will you learn?
As well as learning how to construct two different styles of trousers, this online course focuses heavily on achieving the perfect fit. Those of you who have attempted trousers before will know that this can be a tricky business!
In the first segment of the course, we’ll be making the Carrie Trousers. You will learn:
- how to measure yourself and choose the correct size for your body
- choosing the appropriate fabric
- how to assemble your PDF pattern and cut it out
- how to prepare and cut your fabric
- how to stitch the slanted pockets
- how to create pleats
- constructing a basic no-closure pair of trousers
- the best ways to finish the raw edges of your seam allowances
- how to create an elasticated waistband
- how to hem your trousers
For the Ultimate Trousers, as well as the basic construction, we will also concentrate on getting the fit just right, as well as some alternate styling options. The construction begins with:
- stitching the darts
- how to construct the leg and crotch seams
- the best way to insert the invisible zip
- how to attach the facing
- hemming your trousers
The fitting stages include diagnosing and adjusting for the following fit issues:
- flat bottom
- full bottom
- full tummy
- full thighs
- loose crotch
- tight crotch
- thin thighs
We will also show you how to alter your pattern to suit your style. Learn to:
- add a waistband
- raise the waistline
- taper the trouser legs towards the ankle
Achieve the perfect fit and style for you!
Why are online courses great?
- Dip in and out of the course as you like, and learn at your own pace. Rewind as many times as you’d like!
- Fit your sewing around your busy schedule. With access to the course 24/7, stop and start at your leisure.
- Wherever you are in the world, get the Sew Over It class experience from the comfort of your own sewing table.
- The course never expires! Buy now and start sewing whenever suits you. If you want to start the course in six months, you can! Your access to the course is indefinite!
- Sew as the mood takes you. Drink wine at the same time if you like!
Watch our video to see the course in action!